Pages

Sunday, January 1, 2012

The thing about wisdom & humility


Verse of the Day Day 1
The Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge (Wisdom). The fool despises wisdom & instruction. (Proverbs 1:7)

Today’s verse
For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth comes knowledge and understanding. (Proverbs 2:6)

Proverbs 2 was a bit better than Proverbs 1- which was kinda like the introduction or the forward of a book. Even chapter was like the prolouge.

Of course there was a lot before and after that.
To get this wisdom, I need to seek it as silver, search for it like treasure.

Wisdom is a treasure.
Wisdom will keep me from sin, keep me from wickedness and evil people.
Wisdom leads toward righteousness and the way of the Lord.


Lord, I want to be wise.
And not in the sense I want to be seen as wise, thought as wise, or feel smart.
I think I often think that way when I think of being wise.
No, today as I read and reflect on today and yesterdays reading, I see I want to be wise because I don’t want to be a fool. I don’t want to sin. I don’t want to turn from You, leave You.

And to be wise, I need to be humble.
I need to see I am not wise.
I am not wise in myself.
I need help.
I need others to instruct me.
And I need Your Words…from Your Word.

You instruct me.
You lead me.
You guide me.

Not my own wisdom.
Not my insights.
Not what I think or feel.
Not my experiences.
You.

Not because I have gained much knowledge
Or read so many books.
Or have seen success.

I need to be humble before You
To allow You to speak
And let You lead me & guide me.


As I have been reading Exodus, I could be like the people of Israel who look simply and what they have and have not… who like at the people around them and what they do, how they operate, how they worship, how they have a king, etc. I could do things the way the world does it… or I could follow You.
Lord, may I follow You.

And I may think I have it all together. I could think I know what I am doing and I don’t need instruction and help. And I could feel insulted for how I am passed over, how I am not thought of, how I am not respected and want to show the world just how great and smart and knowledgable and wise I am… or I could walk in humility… and receive instruction, and let You lead me.
Lord, clothe me in humility.
May I do justly, love mercy and walk humbly with my God.
Lord, I need You.
And I am not so strong, not so smart I can do this on my own, by myself, without others.
Clothe me in humility.
Allow me to receive instruction.
May I not be unwise, but wise… honoring & glorifying You.

No comments:

Post a Comment