Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

the thing about activities


What do you do for fun?
What activities define you?

A couple days ago, Soo & I were going through His Needs, Her Needs the other day and came across a section of listing recreational activities to do together

Soo came up with 11, I came up with 45

I was pretty specific in most instances, though I did combine some.
I went back and listed them in order… then decided to lump some together – and still had 20.

The thing is, most of them were not things I do very often or do at all anymore.
Most of my favorite things are things I used to do- when I was in college, or younger at least.
I mean, I didn’t put down the highschool stuff… but I am getting old
How often do I play basketball anymore? Do I even play catch?

Of course, some things require groups of people – like Ultimate… or even freezetag… and other things you can only do when it is warm or in certain places that have the facilities like golf, driving range, mini-golf, raquetball, ping-pong

These days what do I do for fun?
1.     sit in a coffee shop/bookstore/panera & read (or really any place and read)
2.     watch sports
3.     watch tv shows
4.     watch movies
5.     write
6.     hang out with friends (and talk about babies)
7.     Settlers of Catan

but when I look back, the most enjoyable times were
1.     talking with a small group of people about life & God (maybe at a restaurant or a starbucks)
2.     playing basketball
3.     Late night conversations (maybe at dennys or steak n shake)
4.     discussing theology
5.     Ultimate or Football
6.     Prayer & Praise
7.     Tv shows like Seinfeld, Simpsons, scrubs
8.     Watching sports
9.     Discussing tv shows or movies
10. Playing catch (baseball or football)
11. Ping-pong
12. Watching bad movies & making fun of it


This morning (the day I wrote this) I was playing with Halle and asked her if she would be more like her mom or like her dad.

As I thought about that, I wondered what activities make me stand out? What is my niche

I first thought of the friends episode where Emma says her “first word” and it was a scientific word and it made Ross so happy… then I thought of the other episode when they were talking about how jokes are Chandler’s thing

On friends –it is so easy. Chandler is all about humor & jokes. Ross is all about science & history. Joey is all about his looks (or sex) and having a good time.

Even with real life friends, it can be easy to pick out.
For Soo, she is artistic, and likes shopping and is hospitable & serving and all about food.
I can think of other friends who are all about singing praise or others who are all about theology or all about reading or all about sports.
But what about me?

I’d like to think I’m all about God- but that’s not really true.
Some may think I’m all about missions. I don’t know there either
I used to be a sportsnut – but I’m not quite there anymore (or maybe I am)

What actitvity sticks out? Wasting time? Procrastinating? Eating junk food?

Maybe the better question is: What do I want to stick out? What activities do I want to define me? How do I want to be remembered or known?


How about you?
What is your niche? What activities define you?
How do you want to be known?

And I’m curious what do you think sticks out about me?

And what do you do for fun?

Comments welcome and appreciated

No comments:

Post a Comment