Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The thing about being called


I have lived the last 5 years in a foreign country. And had another year previously. I plan on going back soon. And living there for some time.

When people see me upon my return to the states they say “You must really like it there.”

A long-termer warned us people would think this and say it.
It’s natural to assume that. It makes sense. Why else would I be living there?


There are several advantages: It’s cheap, the food is good, there is a small tight community.
Plus, I actually like the pace of life.

Some may like the challenge -not me so much… Or the experience – but I could care less…

This is not the reason we’re there.
I don't really like it there that much, and i don't miss the place that much now that i've been gone.

Then why am I there?

Well, it’s not because it’s easy.
It’s not because I have better friends there.
It’s not because I like to travel.

It’s about God.

See… it’s not even what you may think… I don’t particularly love the people… or even like them.
The ministry is thriving… but it’s not easy.
If it were because of the people, I wouldn’t be there.

The reality is, the longer I’m in Asia… the more I dislike it. What I used to laugh at annoys me. What I used to tolerate, grates at me. What I used to see as innocent, I see as sinful. And what used to taste good, is old. What used to be nice, is aggravating.

The longer I am there, the more I see sin, the more I experience people taking advantage of me, the more people frustrate me.


But that is why I am there… b/c these people NEED Jesus.


BUT…
The Need itself is not enough… there is need everywhere!

 But this is where God called us. This is where God wants us to be.

And we are glad to be there.
We see God at work.
We experience His power and grace and faithfulness and provision
We grow in our faith… we depend on Him.
And we enjoy His glory.

God is working around the world, amongst the nations – and we want to be part of that.

Psalm 67 fuels my passion.
May the peoples praise You oh God
Shine your face upon them.
May the peoples praise You!

As Piper states “Missions exists because worship doesn’t”

We have seen God work. We have seen lives changed. We have seen movements develop. We have been amazed.




No, it’s not easy. And it is not fun. We don’t just have compassion on the people… but we do want to see God’s glory in the Nations. And that is the place to be.
We’re there for God’s Glory.

Ultimately though, it’s God’s Call.
We go because this is where God has called us to be.

It is hard. We long for stability. We long for a home. We long for good friends.
We know Hebrews 11:13-16
These all died in faith, not having received the things promised, but having seen them and greeted them from afar, and having acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14For people who speak thus make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. 15If they had been thinking of that land from which they had gone out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.

Acts: 20:22-24 is my calling verse:
And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, 23except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. 24But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

I don’t know what will happen to me – except suffering – but I go bound by the Holy Spirit.
I don’t consider my life dear to myself, only that I may finish the course God has given me.


We want to see God’s Name Glorified.
We want to experience God’s glory.
We want to be where God wants us to be.

It’s about being where God wants us to be: for His purposes, His glory – in my life & in the world

We don’t make decision based on what we like or dislike. Not because it is easy, or because of the challenge. We don’t go b/c it is fun or an adventure, and experience or fun. We don’t go to feel good about ourselves, or simply to feel good.  We go bound by the Holy Spirit. We go to follow God. We go to honor Christ. We go to experience God’s glory. We go to worship. We’re there, because that is where God wants us to be.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're my friend. Great post. It draws me back toward living a surrendered life, toward examining my life in light of God's heart to be glorified among the nations, and toward praising Him who has a call on each of our lives.

    Also, I like Elizabeth Grace the best...but, I voted for Seven.

    ReplyDelete