Pages

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Our wedding vows

In honor of pour 3 month anniversay, i thought i would post our wedding vows.
We really hope it points others to Christ... but mostly ourselves to Christ and honors HIM!


I Matt take you Soo to be my lawfully wedded wife.
You are a gift from God, His provision for me. I am so thankful for you.
I like you.
And I love you.
I will
by the power of the Holy Spirit
make it my aim to point you to Christ, reflect Christ to you
and love you as Christ loves the church.
I will choose to love & honor you more than myself, considering your needs & wants more than my own.
As Christ came to serve and not to be served, I will serve & love you for our lifetime together.
I will seek to know you and understand you, care for you and protect you.
In sickness & health,
In moment of conflict
And moments of joy
I will always love you.
I will never divorce you
I will believe the best in you
And I will resolve conflicts quickly
I will admit when I need help and when I have sinned against you
I will be completely honest with you at all times
And I give you permission to remind me of these vows
I ask for grace from you and offer grace to you no matter what.
I will have fun with you, enjoy your company and take you on dates
However I won’t demand you to satisfy what only God can satisfy.
Above all, I commit to walk with God, experience Christ & depend on the Holy Spirit and help you to do the same
You will come before anything or anyone else,
Even if others don’t understand or if it ruins my plans
You will be #1
I commit all these things to you As long as we both shall live.
I love you. I cherish you.
I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you


I Soo take you Matt to be my lawfully wedded husband. I love the way God designed you and brought you to have a personal and intimate relationship with Himself. You are a wonderful man and I will respect and affirm my love to you as I support you and trust you. I will build fun memories with you as we journey this life together and comfort and encourage you in joyful or sad times. I will point you towards Christ for as long as I live and serve you as Christ came not to be served but to serve. I will be confident in you as you are confident in Christ I will not demand you to satisfy what only God can satisfy
I will seek to know you and understand you care for you and protect you
In sickness and in health
In moments of conflict and in moments of joy
I will always love you
I will never divorce you
I will believe the best in you
And I will resolve conflicts quickly
I will admit when I need help and when I have sinned against you
I will be completely honest with you at all times
And I give you permission to remind me of these vows
I ask for grace from you and offer grace to you no matter what
Above all I commit to walk with God experience Christ and depend on the Holy Spirit and help you to do the same.
You will come before anything or anyone else even if others don’t understand or it ruins my plans
I will respect your leadership
I will be your number one fan.
I commit all these things to you as long as we both shall live.
I love you.
I’m so glad I’m marrying you!




And now bullet points
• I took inspration from many friends as we planned our wedding and our vows. Thanks to Clint & Sung, Ken & Jenny, Shane Stec & Shane Ferguson and many others…

• A while back, my ATL Robin told me STINT was good preparation for marriage. Those who have been on teams with me in EA may recognize some ideas in our vows- basically directly out of our team covenants: resolve conflict quickly, believe the best, walk with God…of course a lot of it is Biblical principles!

• Like a Team Covenant, I hope Soo & I will review this often: we even put in our vows that we can remind each other of our commitment to one another. We’ve already renewed it twice, and I hope we look at it at least once a year if not more

• We made point to say by the power of the Holy Spirit: for we know - even though we like each other & love each other deeply- we need God to make this marriage work!

• And we also give each other grace

• Some may object of me calling Soo #1 as God is #1. But I don’t consider God a priority, I consider Him my living breath (this is a whole other blog)

• Still, we emphasized only God can satisfy us

• Our vows are very similar, but one thing where it diverges is the emphasis on love toward Soo and respect & affirmation toward me

• We truly hope we can show Christ to each other & experience Christ from each other!

Married life has been good. i love my Soo, and i am so thankful for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment