Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Lessons from a Lost dog: God's heart for the lost

It was about a year ago this time that Soo & i were heading back to America to have our baby. Soo was entering her 7th month of pregnancy. We would be back in the states for about 8 months.
So, we planned to take our dog as well. It took a lot of money and a lot of time figuring out which flights we could take her on as well as what documents we needed to get her overseas. But we worked it all out.

That is, until we actually started flying.
Our initial flight was delayed 2 hours and so we arrived at our connecting city a little late. We came an extra day early because there was some more paperwork that needed to be done for the dog. We had a plan.


So we arrived at the airport with our dog in tow. We were pretty worried about her and so quickly went to the baggage claim and asked about our dog.
We came to the desk and they were like “uh… oh, it’s your dog… well she got out of her cage and when we opened the door she ran out”

My first thought: “This only happens to me” And I imagined the episode of Seinfled when Kramer is running next to the plane.

I offered to go out and call her, but they brushed me aside and told us not to worry and assured us they would get her back quickly.

I was laughing at first, but soon the laughter turned to worry, before it eventually turned to tears.

This ordeal was an extremely hard thing, but God used it in our lives. We believe He is sovereign in all things, and even with the things we see & learned, i am sure there is so much more.
i will post a number of things God taught me thru this lost dog. The first thing is God's heart for the lost.

i cry out that i would have such deep concern for the souls of men, those who are lost- as my heart was distressed for this lost puppy.
When i posted on facebook about our lost puppy- i don't think i ever got as many comments before. People were concerned for us. And we even more so than them.
We cried, our hearts ached. We begged, we pleaded, we prayed earnestly. We spent time and energy. Our hearts were spent.

i immediately realized (before all of that), that this is how God wants me to feel about the lost. And it is how i want to feel about the lost.

God's heart breaks for the lost. He loves the lost. He wants to help them and rescue them. He cares about them and wants to save them, reconcile them. Each person means so much to Him

Yet i can be so complacent. And i can care more about my dog than i do about the eternal destiny of people around me. My head knows the need, but my heart does not ache.

God convicted me right away, within a few minutes, but he was not done with me yet..

No comments:

Post a Comment