Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Lessons from a Lost dog: Missions

Continuing a series on Lessons i learned from a Lost dog [Puppy post #1]


So we arrived at the airport with our dog in tow. We were pretty worried about her and so quickly went to the baggage claim and asked about our dog.
We came to the desk and they were like “uh… oh, it’s your dog… well she got out of her cage and when we opened the door she ran out”
 
I offered to go out and call her, but they brushed me aside and told us not to worry and assured us they would get her back quickly.

After 15 minutes or so, one person came back and wrapped a yellow vest around me and walked me over to the door.
They told me to wait a moment and a few minutes later they walked me back to where we came from – and then told me again I could not go out to look for the dog.

They reasoned with us.
It is too dangerous out there. There are many vehicles and machines and it is too dangerous.
Plus it is too dark out right now. Which makes it more dangerous. It is too dark to look for her and find her. It is too dark for other people or vehicles to see you.
It is too difficult. We won’t find her. And the place is too big, she could be anywhere.
In other word they said the task was
1.     Too Dangerous
2.     Too Dark
3.     Too Difficult
4.     Too Daunting

Isn’t this what is said about finding the lost in missions. Aren’t these the same excuses?

It’s too dangerous to go overseas. What if your children get sick? What if you face persecution? What if you go to jail?

It’s too Dark.
The people there are so entrenched in their religion. They are so caught up in their ways

It’s Too Difficult
You have to learn the language- and the culture. You have to fight years of oppression and custom. It will be difficult to explain. You have to give up so much – food, friends, fun, conveniences, comforts… too difficult

It’s too Daunting.
There’s just so many people, what difference can we actually make?


When they told me I couldn’t go out to look for my puppy, I didn’t care about their reasons.
I didn’t care at all. Not one bit.
The only thing that mattered was finding my puppty
I didn’t care how dark it was, I was up for the challenge and energy it would require.
I didn’t care how daunting it looked, I would take however long it needed.
I didn’t care how difficult it would be, I just wanted my puppy
And danger? Well, I wanted to be careful but I was willing to risk potential problems for the joy of finding our puppy.

And if I would go that extent for a puppy, how much more can we for the lost souls around us.
God’s love for the lost is so much greater than my love for my puppy- as hard as that may seem.

And the thing is…

Too Dark? No problem, Jesus is the Light of the world.
Too Dangerous?  Jesus is with us always  (and God is a strongtower we can run to and be safe, he will take care of us)
Too Difficult? Jesus has given us His Holy Spirit to empower us
Too Daunting? Jesus overcame even death. Nothing is impossible with God.

1 comment: