Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

the one with some thoughts on Exodus 33

I’ve been reading through Exodus and came to chapter 33 and saw something I never noticd before: God tells Moses

"Depart; go up from here, you and the people whom you have brought up out of the land of Egypt, to the land of which I swore to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, saying, 'To your offspring I will give it.' 2I will send an angel before you, and I will drive out the Canaanites, the Amorites, the Hittites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites. 3 Go up to a land flowing with milk and honey; but I will not go up among you, lest I consume you on the way, for you are a stiff-necked people."

What? God didn’t go with them? He sent an angel, but He didn’t go with them? I mean, that’s huge right? I guess an angel is pretty powerful and can do some supernatural things – but no God?

Well, this is why you keep on reading… Moses intercedes for the people (and himself) and pleads for God to continue to go with them.

See – receiving God’s provision without His presence is a lesser blessing. Receiving God’s promises without experiencing His presence is not fulfilling.

Am I like that? If God said I’ll give you everything I promised, everything you desire, everything you need, and you will have protection & security & even comfort- but You won’t have me – would I be satisfied? Would that be good enough for me?

Or would I fight? Would I plead? Would I cling to God til HE came with me?

Would I be like Orpah or like Ruth. They both were clinging to Naomi, but then she said go from me and you’ll get what you need. Orpah gave up and went, but Ruth clung.

Do I live for blessings or for God?
Do I desire God’s provision or protection or promises more than I desire His presence?

Often, if life feels comfortable- then I feel comfortable. If I am not suffering want or need, then I am content. I don’t think of myself as a “health, wealth, prosperity” guy… but how much am I hungering for God’s presence?

And if I want God’s presence, do I want all that comes with that? All the complexities of His will, of His grace, of His wrath, of His majesty, of His holiness, of His glory?

God’s presence is greater, is better than His provision, His promises, His protection.

The Gospel is God gave us His Son, so we could experience intimacy with Him. The greatest blessing He has given is His Son reconciling us to Himself. He offers not just eternal life, but eternal life with Him. We receive His promises, come under His protection, know His provision and experience His presence. Let's not settle for anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment