Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

the one with only a week left


We only have one week left in Muncie…actually like 3 days… and really just two weeks left in the states… where did the time go?

As the time winds down, I wonder
1.     what happened to the time
and
2.     how can we maximize the time left
As well as, what do I absolutely NEED to do before we go… and there is a lot of that too… but a lot we can’t do

And so…  I’m trying to
1.     call everyone I know- we’re on the same time zone or close to it at least
2.     see people and get some closure with folks
3.     read the books in the bookstores
4.     eat the food I can’t later

(Except, I’m not doing that too much… a little, but not really)

A couple weeks ago our Pastor was preaching out of Ecclesiastics and it made me think… if I knew I only had one week left to live what would I do

1.     I’d want to make sure Soo & Halle knew how much I loved them
a.     I would be spending a lot of time with them
b.     Sharing with them how much I love them
c.      And writing notes they could read later
d.     And I’d make sure everything was in order for them
2.     I’d be spending time with my family
3.     I’d be seeing friends and calling them up on the phone
4.     I’d be spending time in prayer & worship
5.     I’d eat all my favorite food- it wouldn’t matter how unhealthy or how expensive
6.     I’d be sharing Christ with my friends and even strangers
7.     I’d be writing down all sorts of thoughts I want to share with the world for their edifcation and God’s glory
8.     I’d probably still watch Purdue play
9.     I probably wouldn’t sleep much- who could? and why bother?

We probably should live every day, every week, every month as if it were our last. Our last time we might see a person… or the last opportunity we have… or y’know, live with an eternal perspective… maybe as Kris Allen (ok the Script) sings “Live like we’re dying!”

But there is a bit of a problem with that…
1.     We wouldn’t sleep
2.     We wouldn’t be taking care of our bodies that much- who would exercise or eat well?
3.     We wouldn’t be working at the development stuff that takes time – like reading

But we would
1.     Take advantage of our time with people
2.     Seize more opportunities – especially with people
3.     Not fight over petty things & resolve conflicts & speak encouraging words
4.     Not waste as much time on meaningless things
5.     Be more courageous


The way I’d like to answer the question “If you only had a week to live, what would you do?”:

Nothing different.
(Unfortunately, I can’t).

I want to live my life in such a way that honors God, exalts His glory, builds His kingdom.
I want to love others well, bless them, encourage them, challenge them in their faith, and helps them feel encouraged & loved.
I want to prioritize my family and those who love me well. And put others before myself
I want to enjoy life and all that God gives
I want to be courageous & full of faith.
I want to praise God all the time.
I want to live in light of my purpose, mission, vision, values & priorities
I want to live in light of eternity.
I want to glorify God. I want love Him & love others.


How would you spend your last week in America?
How would you spend your last week in life?
How would your life be different if you lived with an eternal perspective.



No comments:

Post a Comment