Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

The one where goals get in the way of your goals


It's been said "The Main thing is to keep the Main thing the Main thing."


i've discovered recently that I’ve let my goals become my goal, instead of my goal.

In short, i let goals keep me from my goals.

i make goals to accomplish a bigger goal, but get so focused on the smaller goal, that i lose sight of what the big goal is.


Let me give you an example.
I want to encourage my wife.
So, I plan a date. I think thru a lot of ideas. I carefully plan out the details. I include fun, creative things and romantic things, and encouraging things and godly things. I plan it all out.
Then the date comes… and something comes up. Soo isn’t feeling well, or is tired or doesn’t appreciate something I plan.
And I get upset.
Or I push through.
Or I stress the whole time, trying to make everything work.

Initially, my goal was to encourage and love Soo.
But, then my goal became to plan the perfect date.
Or maybe it is to impress Soo.

I’ve also been known to get upset when I planning to take my parens out to eat, and they choose some dive of a restaurant to eat at.

I get lost in my goals, I lose sight of my GOAL

I think we can do this with people, we can do this with God.

The Pharisees, set up all sorts of rules, so they would be holy. They wanted to honor God.
At first.
Then, they got stuck by their rules.
They forgot why they were being so cautious. They forgot why they were doing what they were doing. They got lost in their rules, they lost sight of God.

We do similar things. We want to know God, so we read our Bible and have a Quiet time. Then, somehow, it is more important for us to have a quiet time than to connect with God.
We must sing a song, rather than worship.
We get so stuck on reading, we neglect loving.

Maybe in Evangelism too. We get so stuck on getting the message out, we forget the real goal is for the person to come to Christ- not just making a presentation. Or we’re so intent on being relevant and sensitive, we never get to the Gospel message.

The goal becomes the goal instead of the goal.

So, if you’re planning a date this Valentine’s Day, remember why you’re doing it.
If you’re spending time with God today, remember why.

Don’t let your goals, get in the way of your GOALS.
Keep the main thing, the main thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment